Saturday, October 6, 2007

Random Crap: Why am I a Math Major?

There were six of us, and we were still young (my 3 cousins, 2 siblings, and myself). We have huge dreams back then. It is so funny that I can still recall what our grand dream was: to become doctors and build a hospital owned by the six of us. Funny, again, though, that it will happen for all of us. I guess it is an impossible dream after all...

Not knowing, I grew up very meticulous. I want everything in chaotic order (how ironical!). And here is the hilarious part: I am scared of blood and syringes! No really, laugh at me now but that's the truth. I'm sort-of blaming it as a reason for taking medicine-related courses out of my list of courses I like to take in college. Dreams shattered? Kind of... We're still young when we made that dream, it was forgotten now...

UPCAT! I don't know what to write in my choice of courses. My parents said I should take Accountancy so I followed them and wrote that down. Then I looked at the list and found nothing of my interest except Journalism and Mathematics. I just wrote down Mathematics since, I said to myself, I'm not a part of the school paper. Why Mathematics? I don't know that time... It is a big mystery to me... So I passed the form, hoping to pass UPCAT and land to the course where I should be.

But lo and behold! I was made Features editor of the school paper by the beginning of my Senior Year! I never knew I had that "talent" but I don't think I'm great. I just think of myself as a mediocre bastard being an editor because of my nonsensical doodles. [spoiler: I only took three exams out of eight throughout a year due to different contests I engulfed myself into. :D]

I was walking in the covered court when I realized that it is time for my review session for a Science Bee (know BULPRISA?) so I went to the office of my coach-mentor. To my surprise, we were talking about my future plans? I said to her I don't really know what course to take. She (my coach-mentor) told me that why shouln't I try Actuarial Science. I showed her a blank face because, in the first place, I don't know what it is, really. At that incident and moments after, I really felt blank. Is that Actuarial Science the thing for me? Is there a course in UP with that name, assuming I passed?

By the end of January, I have this feeling of doubt. I said to myself that I think I should wrote down Journalism and not Mathematics. The plain reason? I reached the Nationals of a journalism contest (Press Conference). It really crossed my mind. But only God will tell.

Then the results came out. I passed. (Hooray! :D) And my course? BS MATHEMATICS. I wanted it, I said to myself, but my enthusiasm about that is not too high. I just murmured, "Go with the flow..."

And you know what's amazing? Actuarial Science is a course in UP (Masters', in fact) which I can take up after I finished Mathematics! It's like *whoa* thanks, ma'am, now I knew my path is set! And Journalism? Nah, I forgot that thing now... I AM NOW DEVOTED TO MATHEMATICS...

KUDOS TO MATH MAJORS!!! :D

And that's my crappy answer to the question "WHY AM I A MATH MAJOR?"

No comments:

Post a Comment