Sunday, November 5, 2006

To Survive...

Last night, I can’t sleep. I’m not insomniac or anything but I think I’m brewing in nervousness. I just can’t avoid those butterflies in my stomach. That, my friends, is my problem: the enrollment.


 


This’ll be the second time that I will enroll but still I got the anxiety. That’s because the first enrollment is just easy: you’ll have nothing to worry about. But now we enroll together with the upper classmen. Of course, it means nothing special to us. We just have to go with the flow. We also have to experience the “hardship” in enrollment, not to be treated special just because we’re freshmen.


 


I remember that single time when I tried to audition in Starstruck. I was at the line by noon. After a few minutes, the line hadn’t moved. It will just move inch by inch. I guess snails were faster than the flow of the line. I was standing in the line for almost seven hours… for nothing. Yeah, I’m not that special to be noticed. I’m just a common folk you see around the streets. But then it taught me of one lesson: patience. The patience to endure the pain of standing and waiting. The patience to believe and dream and hope even if you will get nothing. The patience to survive the day.


 


I woke up early because I fear that there will be many people already waiting in the line. I brought myself up at around four in the morning. I was eating a light breakfast then, thinking of what may happen to the lines. I traversed the long street to the highway but thanks to my grandma, I hitch a ride from a distant aunt. You see, her son is studying in De La Salle University (DLSU) while I enroll at the University of the Philippines (UP). She just dropped me where jeepneys to UP abound. Just hauled a jeepney and went straight to the college building we’re supposed to start to enroll. I was too early. The students that you can see can be counted by the fingers of my hand. But grace fell upon those who came early and we were given materials to start the registration.


 


The line I got stuck in is for the advising of the subject. While in the line, we were given forms to fill up. I knew that when this lane ends, it’s over for me, because the rest will be easy. I have subjects just enough to suffice the unit quota. After the advising, I ran to the college building again to be cleared and assessed. I breezed it, I even got first before the assessor that I gave my papers to him in an undesignated place. Consequently, I zoomed to the last building which I’m going to pay my tuition. I thought the line will be long because it’s just impossible that I’m the only student who got all of the subjects online. I was the only one on the line that I felt really stupid. But everything’s just alright, I finished early and shrugged all of the problems that I had thought. Maybe not now, but how about the next?

No comments:

Post a Comment